From: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
[mailto:Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 3:18 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: is that a fork in the road?

I'm trying to think of successful examples of "planned" change.  I can think
of all sorts of plans that went nowhere commercially viable and were blown
away by "ad hoc" innovations ... X/Open, OSI Networking, Ada, DSSSL/HyTime
... the Soviet economy.  Someone please offer counter-examples to undermine
the hypothesis that "planned change" mainly tidies up ad hoc innovation,
then gets over-ambitious, bloats up, and ultimately rots.