Re: We need an XPath API

> 1) Small, lightweight
> 2) Should emit/accept XML representation
>    of XPath expression
> 3) Provide info about expression
> 4) Define an XML representation of XPath expressions

I don't agree with 4 (the representation should be hidden behind the API.. I
think an API for executing queries should be good enough):

5) Work on DOM trees as well as with a SAX parser (DOM tree query support is
essential in my opinion.. SAX alone is no good. What if your dom tree comes
out of a database?)

6) Allow xpath functions to be hooked in via callbacks (Xalan does that, I
personally use it to override variable lookup and for a transitive closure
function).

Christian