Re: A real community service

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> Consider the incredible amount of
> redundancy in the presentation topics, how many
> of the revelations are old news if you either
> attended other conferences or sat in on these
> maillists.

I think it might have more to do with the degree of permeation. In the early
nineties you might have attended Ventura Publisher user group meetings, but then
as desktop publishing percolated through industries, people started again moving
toward more tightly focussed topics. I suspect that we'll soon start seeing more
conferences targetted at specific groups of developers, as the market will
support them. Hopefully this will mean more conferences, but with better
content.

> How many times have you seen
> or heard about the failure of the Mars probe
> based on confusing metric and english units

Ah, it's funny how quickly Americans got tired of that one. How many
thirtyseconds are there in a centimeter, anyway?  :-)

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au
       - Einstein