RE: tolerating anarchy (was Re: Personal reply)

I read the email on that discussion.
It came down to <fiat> by <marca>.

Sure you had rulers and you still do.
Try to push a W3C spec out the door
without going through the Director.
Rulers may differ in style, capability,
etc. but you had them then and you
have them now.  The only difference is
whether or no you get to choose the
means to choose the means.

Anarchy?  Mess, really.  There is sort
of a historical inevitability of going
from oonyellimon to sieg heil if the
rulers become more important than the rules.
What web rules did was made it
possible for the strongest to eliminate
competitors, by the rules, fairly, openly.
We want open compeition?  Fine.  We have that
right now.  Did everyone go home?  Nope,
we use IE and play together By The Rules.

What the schema enables is to choose
the means.   If the schema is "privileged",
we can't choose the means to choose
the means.  Understand?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard