Re: ??? (was RE: A simple guy with a simple problem)

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 08:59:58AM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Richard Tobin scripsit:
>=20
> > 0.01% of a year is 3,000 seconds, not 30.
>=20
> Oops.  Musta misread the % sign or something.
>=20
> Ignore previous flames.
>=20
> Unless somebody promises you 99.9999% reliability, in which case beware.
>=20

People (as in Microsoft, and Compaq, and various other vendors) are
rather eager to promise "5 nines" reliability, which is 5 minutes a
year.  Probably doable on a 3-5 year time scale, but after that the
factors you mentioned would make me not want to be the customer
service rep. =20
          =20
sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key