Re: Gag me with a blunt …

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

>Has anyone seen this thing?
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/newline
>
>I have a horrid suspicion that it's actually correct.
>
>For further shudders I direct your attention to &#x2028;
>and &#x2029;...

My memory, which some people do not weigh highly, is that
when I raised the issue of line sep and para sep being legitimate
separator characters (with other space characters, on the principle
that only visible differences should be significant for markup
otherwise we have binary not text), the XML WG turned it down
because they wanted to keep characters significant as delimiters
in the ASCII range.

I guess a sloppy distinction can be made here that we are talking
newline normalization not seperator chars, and the character is
still in the < 256 range which may less impact on implementations,
and it is only one character so it will only hurt a little bit to retrofit
it.

I think it is a good idea, for the same reason that all non-printing chars
should be allowed as separators: it reduces the errors where you cannot
see the cause without a hex editor.

Cheers
Rick