RE: XML Encoding of XPath: Examples

Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> I find it amazing that this syntax that is a straight reformulation of
> XPath shows similarities between TREX (rules expressed in a XML syntax)
> and Schematron (rules expressed in XPath syntax) that were hidden before
> by the different syntax...

I submit that this is a basic nature of modelling a hierarchical structure
as XML. XPath is defined as a set of EBNF productions, hence can be modelled
as an XSet expansion (similarly to the way an XML document can be 'expanded'
as a serialized PSVI). The XML structure you see is derived from the
underlying EBNF.