Re: Best practices: Namespaces, versions and RDDL

This is the web equivalent of DLL hell and has been around for a while.

You have identified the basic approaches:
1) dependent documents refer to *any* version of a NS
        e.g. http://examplotron.org/

2) dependent documents refer to *major* version of a NS
        http://examplotron.org/0/

3) dependent documents refer to *specific* version of a NS
        http://examplotron.org/0/3/

Your compromise approach by depending on the major release, but not hanging up on patch level releases makes sense to me.    Especially for simpler, quick to deploy cases.

The COM solution to this problem isn't bad.   In addition to a version specific name, the provider of a component may register a general name.  Applications are free to request a component implementation by either name.  If the reference is to the version specific name, installation of a new version will not break the old code.  But neither will the component client get any benefit of an update.  Alternatively, clients may request components by the general name and will receive the latest available version.

This approach is similar to the "latest" and "version-specific" URLs to W3C specs.  Typically, but not always, references between specs use the "latest" URL over the "version-specific".    While not orthodox, I don't see why the same approach couldn't be use for NS URIs.

An important here is that it is up to the -client- to decide the dependency.

RDDL could mediate the use of a version-independent NS - especially if Dublin Core/RDF metadata (version, date) is included.  A version-specific NS URI could resolve directly to the schema.

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel