Re: Web Philosophy

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>

Martin wrote:
>>Right: $50,000 for full membership, and $5,000 for affiliate
>>membership, per year.  >

>As long as we're discussing finances, I'd like to point out that OASIS
>offers a $250 individual membership fee, something far more plausible to
>independent developers, and has far more default flexibility as far as
>confidentiality and process than does the W3C.

Actually, it is much more than that.  If you are on a WG you have to commit
to spending 1 (or is it 2?) days per week full time on that activity, and to
attend teleconferences and face-to-face meetings to remain in good standing
(though they are not strict on this for people in different time-zones or
far-off places.)  The cost of giving up 1 day [er week for a year or two and
flying to face-to-face meetings 4 times a year or more is much more than an
associate fee.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe