RE: experts

Well, let's see. XML is a "standard", so we could start with that. Then it is pretty much "generalized". And it's used for "markup". That just leaves the "metalanguage". SGMML anyone?

-----Original Message-----
From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]
Sent: 28 March 2001 09:55
To: simonstl@simonstl.com; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: experts

Is XML a "language"? Or is it a meta-language? If XML had been called
Extensible Markup Meta Language (XMML) we might have been on more accurate
ground. But, peering more closely, is XML really extensible? If XML allows an
essentially infinite number of element names in what way is it "extensible"
in the way that it is often hyped to be?

In practice, of course, there would have been major problems in defining
*any* term which adequately and accurately represented what XML is to a wider
audience.