Re: CDATA sections in W3C XML Infoset

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, David Brownell wrote:

> > The problem is that the obvious way to implement XML Script is on top
> > of a DOM of some kind. The DOM will hold the three variants given
> > above differently.

> Applications are free to ignore such DOM misfeatures.  I remember
> asking (several times) for DOM construction options like "don't
> ever show me a CDATA node".  Until such things arrive, you can
> fix up such things in application code.

Yes, it's the "application code" bit that is currently proving painful
for our developers, as the fixing up is proving to be very slow. I
would be very happy if the DOM had some option that never constructed
explicit CDATA sections, or even if it had something analogous to the
normalize() function (which normally merges adjacent text nodes) which
was blind to CDATA/text distinctions.

--
Richard Lanyon, Software Engineer     DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com