Re: CDATA sections in W3C XML Infoset

At 12:00 30/03/2001 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, John Aldridge wrote:
> > At 10:54 30/03/2001 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> > >Before you even think about suggesting how easy it would be to restore
> > >the angle brackets in the embedded document, let me point out that the
> > >< and > which are not delimiters for the element tags in the
> > >embedded document cannot be "restored" to < and >, and I submit that it
> > >is impossible in some cases to distinguish which those were.  Therefore
> > >information has been lost.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm being thick today, but I don't see the problem.  Can you
> expand
> > a little?
>
>Sure.  Try handing the following "document" to your favorite XML parser
>and watch what happens.
>
>&lt;A/&gt;

That's not the question I was asking, though.  I'm aware that, e.g., your
document might start out like
    <![CDATA[<A>&lt</A>]]
and that it might be converted to
    &lt;A&gt;&amp;lt&lt;/A&gt;
by an infoset compliant application.  What I don't understand it why it's
impossible for you to reverse the transformation.

--
Cheers,
John