RE: URI resolver was Re: RDDL and XML Schemas Proposed Recommendation

Sorry late to the thread, but I didn't see this issue discussed.

I agree that versioning is an important use of I2L resolution.  But perhaps the biggest area affected by URI equivalence issues is that of web caching.  XML Namespace URI "resolution" is one example of this problem.   But it also applies to most all web sites.

People rightfully don't want to go back to the originating host every time an Entity (in the RFC 2396 sense) is requested.  Many have said, configure a caching proxy server (or some variant, thereof).   At the URL level, this is all time tested and highly effective.

Typically, static content (meaning, slowly changing) is expired in proportion to its age.  The newer it is, the sooner it will expire.  Dynamic content, to be cached at all, must be given an explicit expiration time in the future.  Proxies distinguish between static and dynamic content by explicit configuration (a regex on the URL) and, possibly, file extension (just before the ?).  There are more details, mostly relating to degrees of separation between the proxy and the originating host, but hopefully I have captured the most important parts.

What we need now is to describe how I2L "resolution" (as opposed to Entity "resolution") affects otherwise normal caching.  It does not have to be complicated.   The way I see it, the cached object identifier must relate to the cached Entity and, thus, is a URL.   The URL for a given URI may itself be cached.  But this is much more like to caching IP addresses for DNS names than caching retrieved Entities.

Important result: The notion of "What is a Resource" is application dependent  - not scheme, not protocol, not mime type - and is not relevant to caching, per se.  An application must be designed use the basic capabilities of the Entity Caching System to meet its requirements.  This result may apply to URI resolution in general, but I'm not sure.

Another way to look at it: All existing web servers support the notion of name translation.   Thus, what is a URL to the client, appears to the server as a URI needing "resolution" to an Entity.   Much of what is being discussed in this recurring thread are various mechanisms to  push this I2L resolution out to the client - much like how domain names are resolved to (possibly dynamic) IP addresses and cached at the client.

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel