RE: Announce: A brief history of SOAP

It's the same for every language and application
processor out there.  Life is fast and dangerous
at the ecotones.  Every time we have to bolt
on another language (andrew says metadata, but
description to description is not data about
data, but a point of view or semantic), we
encounter just enough lack of fidelity to
spawn an effort to encapsulate/colonize
the complete semantic space.   Either we
get centralized control (the One Browser
World phenomenon) or we accept mediocrity
(simple is enough).

So in effect, we spec a system or take
a spec for an implemented system, watch
the implementations carefully, work out
what is common, then standardize with
complete conformance and compliance
testing.  All the myth of "Internet time" introduces
is the illusion something better
can be done faster.  That is the frustration
of large scale interoperability:  a choice
of patience or dominance.  The only stable
systems are the ones that have long fixed
update schedules or a lack of interest.

For the end user, the web philosphy is useless.
Patience and understanding what is realizable
given the tendancy of the systems to diverge
in the details to an extent that creates mediocrity
is all they can rely on.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.