Images embedded in XML

Does anyone have a Java code sample lying around that takes an image and
embeds the raw data in an XML document (in Hex, etc...)-- and then is able
to recreate the image?  I had a friend ask if I could write one up and
haven't had time to do it.  I know I could simply use a general unparsed
entity but that is not what he wanted in this case.

Thanks for all of the help!
Jeff Rafter