RE: Linkbases, Topic Maps,and RDF Knowledge Bases -- help me und erstand, please

From the perspective of already having a topic-rich database
and tables of meta-data that are already available for
creating topical views, the question for me is one of appropriateness
for representing these to other applications.   For that
work, I'd prefer topic maps/Xlinks.   It seems to make
the most sense at the level of what needs to be shared,
that is, the traversal semantics based on the relationships.
Using RDF would seem to duplicate more of the information
at the lower levels of the database.  From that perspective,
what I want to share is not the information in the database,
but the shared views or controls for accessing and traversing it.

I see RDF and tend to think of data mining and discovery.  I see Topic maps
and tend to think of drill down and visualization.  RDF is closer
to the system tables; topic maps closer to what is in the treeviews.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h