preceding/following sibling

I'm assuming this is an appropriate venue to ask an XSL question.  If it's not, please let me know and I'll try elsewhere...

I'm new to the XML arena, so bear with me if I'm not asking the right question here.  Using an XSL file, I'm trying to create links to other points in an XML document (ultimately, the data's displaying in HTML via JSP).  The problem is that my code works only within the context node.  The link should move from section to section, and the section elements appear within various chapters. The section to section part works, but once it reaches the end of a chapter, it won't move to the next chapter.  Code snippets are below.

Any help/advice is *greatly* appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Mattio xmlhack@hotmail.com

DTD snippet:
<!ELEMENT book (chapter*)>
<!ATTLIST book title CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST book author CDATA #REQUIRED>
  <!ELEMENT chapter (chapter-title,section*)>
  <!ATTLIST chapter number CDATA #REQUIRED>
    <!ELEMENT chapter-title (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT section (a-head*,b-head*,p*,document*)*>
    <!ATTLIST section ID CDATA #REQUIRED>

XSL snippet:
<xsl:for-each select="//section[@ID=$id]">
   <a>
   <xsl:attribute name="href">http://localhost:8080/xml/eyes.jsp?id=<xsl:value-of select="preceding-sibling::section[1]/@ID" /></xsl:attribute>
   <xsl:attribute name="class">dark</xsl:attribute>
   Previous Section</a>

   <a>
   <xsl:attribute name="href">http://localhost:8080/xml/eyes.jsp?id=<xsl:value-of select="following-sibling::section[1]/@ID" /></xsl:attribute>
   <xsl:attribute name="class">dark</xsl:attribute>
   Next Section</a>
   &#160;
  </xsl:for-each>

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at RE: "Binary XML" proposals