-----Original Message-----
From: Murali Mani [mailto:mani@CS.UCLA.EDU]

One more mail for the day -- I think we should take a look once at
"XML in 10 points" - available at the W3C's page --
http://www.w3.org/XML/1999/XML-in-10-points

It emphasizes that XML will be a text format and not a binary format --
1. XML is a method for putting structured data in a text file
3. XML is text, but isn't meant to be read
5. XML is verbose, but that is not a problem

especially the explanation for 5 might be useful.