Re: "Binary XML" proposals

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, David Brownell wrote:

> > As it stands, PNG and JPEG and so on all have their own internal
> > mechanisms for seperating image metadata from compressed data and stuff -
> > ways of compartmentalising data in the files. Wouldn't it be nice to have
> > a standard way of storing that data?
>
> You mean there's a problem using XML text in the comment segments?
> Bizarre notion, to permit text unless it uses XML.

No, I mean there's a problem in that it'd be nicer if the image dimensions
and encoding parameters and comments and all lived in XML.

The hack way is to embed the XML in something else (meaning it's not an
XML file any more) with the binary part also embedded.

A nicer way would be to define an XML that can contain large blocks of
bits without batting an eyelid (a property not easily provided in textual
files!), then the image file can be an XML document the standard tools can
play with to get the comments out.

Getting metadata out of image files. "Semantic web", anyone?

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/