Re: "Binary XML" proposals

I think there are several more projekt out there including one of mine "GREN"

which is a BinaryML based on groves. which is basically XML Information
items.

A few points on speed,:
* most BinML should be faster than any TextML since there are usually fewer
parsing steps involved.
  Examples: StringToInt conversion is not neccessary, string sizes are know.
* In Write Once-Read Many usecases it is possible to further increase spead
and reduces space req. by multipass compression teqniques.
* Parsers written in C or C++ are even faster due to fast memory access.

Space:
* In most cases BinML is smaller but not always:
   - text represenation of array of doubles is smaller when the array
contains small integers
* I have used several compression teqniques and in usecases when the DTD is
"well-known" to both the writer and the reader the size can be significantly
reduced.
* There exits many classes of BinML parsers thar are significantly smaller
than corresponding TextML ones.
* Large documents with a many and different tags are usually smaller when
using BinML.

Currently Im working on version 2 and implementing a protoype (when I have
spare time) whith the  goal of  creating a BinML version of JAR files ( Java
.class files).
Ive just discovered that its is possible to save 3-5MB (out of 13MB) by
removing redundant information, so it should be possible to "add markup and
reduce size" !
Hopefully this remains true when the prototype is done :)

/anders
Anders W. Tell
Financial Toolsmiths AB