Conversion of characters

Hello group:
I need your help in solving the following problem.
I have a HTML document and I wish to convert a part of it and store it as an
XML document. I'm using  VB and I find that in a sentence like:

<P> This is Will Smith's Wild West Zone </P>

the apostrophy ( ' ) is intrepreted and displayed as a Question (?) mark.
Is there a way to overcome this problem?
Thanks for your help,

Raj