Re: Linkbases, Topic Maps, and RDF Knowledge Bases -- help me

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Murali Mani wrote:

> Also one thing which I was wondering was do people use UML for data
> modeling? I think ER is the tool, UML is just more like a programming
> model.

I use UML in the projects I work on to model that kind of stuff - the
class diagrams contain the necessary semantics, although it's been a long
while since I last drew one, so I can't remember the details :-)

I wouldn't describe UML as a "programming model", more as a series of
specifications for types of diagram to explain different parts of a
program's structure - but that may be what you meant anyway. Only a *part*
of UML corresponds to an ER diagram, and it's also used to express class
hierarchies, and some other things too :-)

> regards - murali.

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell