Can XML Schemas Support Document Systems (WAS RE: ZDNet Schema article,and hiding complexity within user-friendly products)

On the other hand, I am interested in the assertions
that XML Schema cannot support document-centric applications.
It appears to me that it can if the right set of features
are used, but maybe I am missing something more vital than
"it's hard to understand".

Can anyone summarize the position that it can't support
these systems?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.