Netscape and RSS

Good morning sports fans!

Worthy of note -- RSS, the embattled spec of the XML world, has suffered yet another blow..

Yesterday everything RSS-related disappeared from Netscape.Com. Apparently they did a total redesign of the server, and lost the spec, the DTD, all the channels and CGIs, even the directory entries on DMOZ are broken this morning.

It's been an interesting scramble to put it back together. Some RSS developers are completely broken because their parsers depend on the DTD. We learned the importance, this morning, of having a good second source for these things.

We found the DTD [1], and luckily we did our own RSS 0.91 spec [2] last summer, allowing IETF-style excerpting and replication.

Whew!

Dave

[1] http://www.scripting.com/dtd/rss-0_91.dtd
[2] http://backend.userland.com/rss091