Re: using namespaces to version

Warren Hedley wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has any strong opinions about
> the use of namespaces for versioning. In particular, am I likely
> to run into any problems if I base my namespaces on the Dublin Core
> format shown below?
>
> I quite like the Dublin Core namespaces proposed in the various
> Dublin Core in XML proposals at http://dublincore.org/. These have
> the form:
>
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/
> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
> http://purl.org/dc/qualifiers/1.1/

Yes, with the restriction that a change of namespace is a change of
vocabulary that, IMHO, should be reserved for major releases (you don't
want editorial or minor changes to be considered as a change of
vocabulary).

> There is a thread on this topic in the archive, although no real
> conclusion or recommendation seems to have been reached. The link is
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200008/msg00612.html . If
> anyone knows of other threads in the archive that might be relevant,
> could they bring them to my attention?

I have proposed something along these lines a while ago [1] that I have
found very convenient to use for both examplotron and XSLTunit...

Hope this helps

Eric

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200103/msg00995.html