Re: PEs in Default Attribute Values

Jason Diamond wrote:-
> This one's tricky. Parameter entity references can only appear at the
> top-level in the internal subset. This is actually a well-formedness
> constraint so conformant XML processors would be required to report it as
an
> error and not just silently pass it through as literal text.
<snip/>
> I suspect that the test is wrong if it expects any output at all since it
> should have stopped processing before encountering the document element.

I too thought it was tricky, but Richard Tobin kindly pointed out[1] that
the James Clark test is valid.  Richard quoted from XML 1.0 4.4 [2]:

Reference in Attribute Value
  as a reference within either the value of an attribute in a
  start-tag, or a default value in an attribute declaration;
  corresponds to the nonterminal AttValue.

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200105/msg00024.html