RE: XLink resource confusion (long)

RFC 2396:

"A resource can be anything that has identity..."

The argument starts here.  Until one has a formal
process for establishing identity, this definiton
is vacuous.  Identity is and always is "system-bound".

"Not all resources are network retrievable."

This makes it worse.  Now there is no means to
make identification by process system specific
if all we are talking about is a "resource".

"The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity
or set of entities, not necessarily the entity
which corresponds to that mapping at any particular
instance in time."

Now we are back to a formal process, aka a mapping
with the proviso that a timestamp might be required
as part of the mapping.

In the IETF world, a resource is a thing, a massively
overload term with contradictory definitions.  In
the ISO world, there is a PUBLIC name that may
be registered in a system, a System name that
must be resolvable.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.