On Modularity and the History of Markup

I'm probably not the only one to notice that
modularity based on the pattern

driver ->collects modules ->collects components

is basically a C main function struct sort of
affair.   Is it a common pattern or just that
we only do variations on what we know?

When SGML was beset by the minimal victory of HTML,
it was entrenched in modularity discussions, still waiting for
DSSSL and so on.  It all collapsed to a one
size fits all language (aka, genCodes) then
began the relentless climb back up to complexity.

The pattern of events keeps repeating itself in a nicely
spiral as one would want it to.  I am fascinated
to see if a new simpler easy any one can learn
it paradigm will emerge to take advantage of the f
fact that WML/SMIL 1.0/ComicML etc are all variants
on frame architectures, that most head/body systems
are scrollers, and so on.  What will be the next
trendy simplification?

Architecturally, most markup languages are variants
on common tropes of markup design (a trope is stronger
than a pattern).  Can we simplify our jobs with tropes?

Architectures?  Where have I heard that before?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h