RE: The lists I monitor

Title: RE: The lists I monitor
HTML removed diversity of names.  It enables
very large distribution of certain kinds of messages.

Message and message type are two different items.
XML returns the ability to diverge and overlap in
message types.

XML returns diversity but constrains the environment
of expression.

Constraints:  Well-formedness seemed to be the
maximum one could relax the constraints on
expression while still retaining the substantial advantages
of lexical unification.   Essentially, the SGML Declaration
was nailed down to one.   SGML enables a lot of diversity
but no one can afford it.  It becomes an entropy problem
of sorts in which the inability to afford to speack all of
the variant languages fractures and isolates the systems.

I'm not too much into "We Are The Web".  I find such
thinking dangerous.  It gives too much authority to faceless
names.  On the other hand, we are people and when we
find it useful and advantageous to hold hands and dance,
nothing in our systems should prevent that.  And when
we find a suitable willing partner, we must have the freedom
to dance in privately.   XML enables that decision and
a much cheaper room.

"We'll leave a light on for you."

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard