Like to do something about logic on the Web?

The thread inspired by loose invokation of Herr Gödel in the context
of the Semantic Web comes at an opportune time.

In an older release of 4RDF (part of 4Suite[1]), we included a prototype
inferencing system for RDF, called RDF inference language (RIL), which I
discuss in an XML.com article[2].  To the extent that FOL and inferencing
are useful in processing XML metadata (I, as always, make no claim for
the feasibility if the overall Semantic Web), RIL aims to provide a simple
and practical approach to such processing.

We have recently gone through the motions of opening up RIL for community
development and discussion.  I have posted a draft[3] of RIL to its
mailing list[4], and the large amount of work that needs to be done to
analyze, design, formalize, describe and implement RIL is beginning in
discussion on the list.

There is a great deal of contribution that could be made by those
hereabouts, and this is work that is intended for implementation
straightaway: there has been interest from developers of more RDF
implementations than just 4RDF.

So please, do join the RIL mailing list and contribute your ideas on a
lightweight, practical RDF inference mechanism.

Thanks.

[1] http://4Suite.org
[2] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/10/11/rdf/ril.html
[3] http://lists.fourthought.com/pipermail/ril/2001-May/000037.html