RE: Namespaces and other stuff

In the example you quote, the part

xmlns:html="...

indicates that elements with names prefixed html: belong in a namespace
"any-old-bollocks". The other namespace declaration does not have a prefix
and so is the default for the element "article" and all its descendants. Any
unprefixed element belongs in this namespace. An instance document might
contain the following:

<article xmlns="http://www.xml.com/namespaces/first-x"
         xmlns:html="any-old-bollocks">
	<title>Introduction to Namespaces</title>
</article>

There are two "p" elements in the HTML (or "any-old-bollocks") namespace and
elements "article" and "title" in the "first-x" namespace. The purpose of
the namespaces is to make sure that element names are unique. There could be
a further element "p":

<article>
	<title>Introduction to Namespaces</title>
</article>

Namespaces also apply to attribute names.

I'm sure there are good introductory articles on the web. But why not get a
good book like Beginning XML (Wrox Press). If you get it through
www.alphaxml.com/bookshop/ the commission from Amazon goes to charity.

Paul Spencer
CTO, alphaXML Ltd
alphaXML is recruiting XML consultants and developers
+44 (0)1491 630053
http://www.alphaxml.com