RE: [ANN] XQuery prototype

Hi Michael,

First, let me be clear that I am delighted to see an XQuery prototype on
the web, and I understand that this is still in an early phase. I did react
a bit to the phrase "compliance suite", since I want people to be clear on
what the definition of the XQuery language is.

Compliance suites based on the grammar of the Working Draft would be very
useful. What you produced is a set of examples that your parser can parse.
It is not clear to me what the intended purpose of these examples is. The
idea of automatically generating test cases from a grammar seems very
useful for generating test cases, provided the grammar used is that of the
language being tested. I'm glad to hear that you plan to use the XQuery
grammar for this in future versions.

As for your claim that the February grammar is too buggy to support in this
way, I do not know how you produce the examples in your compliance suite. I
should point out that  we were able to implement a prototype based on it
that correctly parsed and processed the examples in the Working Draft.
Several other people managed to write working parsers using it. These
parsers were done using different tools such as JavaCC and CUP, and they
correctly parsed the examples in the XQuery Working Draft and the XML Query
Use Cases.

Jonathan