Re: Standard API for XPath Expression

Michael Champion wrote:

> This will probably be in DOM Level 3.
>
> The challenge has been to bridge the XPath data model and the DOM data model
> (selectNodes() more or less ignores a number of ugly corner cases having to
> do with Text nodes, CDATA sections, namespaces, the liveness of the result
> list, etc.)

We're using selectNodes a lot, and have found it rather frustrating that
we can't use it to return any of the other XPath expression result types
apart from node-list - namely string, number, boolean or object (well,
we're not too worried about object yet).

Will the DOM Level 3 proposal address the full XPath data model?

Thanks -

Francis.