RE: Attributes v Elements

http://xml.coverpages.org/elementsAndAttrs.html

This page has links to various discussions on the subject of when to use
elements and when to use attributes.

I personally like to use attributes when the implied constraints of
attributes apply. For example, if I have a non-repeating property whose
value can only be simple text, then I like to use attributes, so that these
constraints are immediately apparent in the instance. When dealing with
document-oriented applications, of course, the distinction between
attributes and elements is important for other reasons.

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.