Searching XML

Afternoon All,

I want to create an application that can search through a number
(between a couple of hundred and a couple of thousand) of
relatively small XML documents (<10KB) and return a list of 'hits'
based on the search criteria. An important point is that all
documents will conform to the same schema.

I wish to keep the application as simple as possible (e.g. storing
the documents in the filesystem rather than a DB if suitable) and do
not want to purchase any generic XML DB package (or indeed
purchase any software at all!).

I would be most grateful for any hints, tips or resources (web sites,
books) that people can suggest as to how I should approach this.
I'm sure there are a number of suitable packages available and
whilst I would be interested to hear of them I would also like to learn
about 'how' they work rather than just using them as 'black box'
solutions.

Regards,

Phil Ruelle

P.S. It's threads like "Attributes vs Elements" that make this
newsgroup essential reading. Very informative even for us
beginners who don't quite follow it all!