Re: Namespace conformance & SAX2

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> > Therefore, it follows that when namespaces are enabled, any XML
processor
> > (whether SAX or not, validating or not) should report a fatal
> > error when the
> > QName or NCName productions are not matched.  This is because
> > syntax errors
> > are well-formedness errors and reporting well-formedness errors as fatal
> > errors is in keeping with XML 1.0 [2].
>
> no. use of colons does not alter the well formedness of an XML document.
> Improper use of colons is a "Namespace Constraint" (see NSC in the NS
rec).

I'm not sure what section of the document you are citing here.

> Well formedness is an entirely XML 1.0 concept and no other document
changes
> that.

Yes, perhaps my wording was unfortunate.  How about if I reword my
explanation like so:-

"Syntax errors are well-formedness errors in XML 1.0 and well-formedness
errors are reported as fatal errors.  Therefore, it follows that syntax
errors on the QName or NCName productions should be reported as fatal errors
to be consistent."

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology