RE: Picking the Tools -- Marrying processing models to data model s

Struct or object...

We had a long discussion about this in the XML
Working Group/SIG phase.  Every now and then,
a review of Horowitz and Sahni is a good read.

"The set of axioms describe the semantics of
the operations.  The form in which we choose
to write the axioms is important.  Our goal
is to write the axioms in a representation
independent way.  Then, to discuss ways of
implementing the functions using a conventional
programming language.

An implementation of a data structure d is a
mapping from d to a set of other data structures e.
This mapping specifies how every object of d
is to represented by the objects of e.  Secondly,
it requires that every function of d must be
written using the functions of the implementing
data structures e.  Thus we say that integers
are represented by bit strings, boolean is
represented by zero and one, an array is
represented by consecutive words in memory.

In current parlance, the triple, DFA, is referred
to as an abstract data type.  It is called abstract
precisely because the axioms do no imply a
form of representation.  Another way of viewing
the implementation of a data structure is that it is
the process of refining an abstract data type until
all of the operations are expressible in terms of
directly executable functions.  But in the first
stage, a data structure should be designed so we
know what it does, but not necessarily how it will
do it.   This division of tasks called specification
and implementation is useful because it helps to
control the complexity of the entire process."

Amen.  The sweetspot of the basics...

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.