RE: Data design methods? (was Re: APIs, messaging)

No, I think the dilemmas are related:

1.  Data design or object-oriented design?

2.  What tool for either?

3.  Are there metrics for good design that the
    tool enables, enforces, or prevents?

IOW, how many of you think this is good design:

<foo>
  <childrenOfFoo>
    various and sundry foo children

Some will say, "what is that wrapper tag doing
in there; child nodeness is an XML property not
needed in the actual instance!"  But for someone
who wants a context-free parse (What! NO XML PARSE!)
and sees those various and sundry foo children
as objects in object oriented fields, well it looks
just fine.

This isn't easy.  The presence of meta-information
modelers makes it harder.  It is very hard to model
above the level of the instance if it is an *instance*.
It pushes one back to value-pair design and looks a
lot like... architectural forms.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com