RE: A few things I noticed about w3c's xml-schema

At this point of time, i have seen some emails in xml-dev, and have gone
to *one* conference with a focus on XML, web and DBs.

I think as of now, I have a decent feel for three people -- James Clark,
Makoto Murata, and Tim Berners Lee. I am trying to place them and others
in the right perspective. I know a bit about Sperberg-McQueen and Tim
Bray, but not enough.

To me, w3c's XML-Schema is a short step towards the final goal which is
regular tree languages -- xml-schema is not for supporting operations. if
we try to tie up xml-schema with operations, it is a mistake. Look at all
the works on operations -- XDuce, document transformations in PODP etc,
they all use regular tree languages.  Xml-Schema just does not seem to
fit.

I will try to polish my opinions, though i very strongly doubt if they
will change.

Also, I was not speaking for anyone, i have never contacted James Clark,
and the above are purely my own opinions, they do not reflect Makoto's
opinions.

once again, i will request the schema WG to consider this, if they think
it is a worthwhile suggestion. There are people who are looking for
someone to verify the correctness of w3c proposals (for example, the CEO
of Propel requested researchers to actually take a look at this aspect).
I think the correctness of xml-schema will need some time to verify,
though i predict the final result is most likely to be xml-schema is
wrong.

regards - murali.