RE: meta-specs (was RE: A few things I noticed about w3c's xml-sc hema)

RDDL is a pack o' XLinks.  It's a good idea and well done
but not a core piece.  It is an application language that
one may adopt to align pieces just as one might learn
Topic Maps.  But learn XLinks first and then RDDL/Topic Maps.
That is what I mean by moving parts. Write a RDDL if
you need one.  Write a Topic Map if you need one.

Yet the core of web is interoperation.  The core set
of specs must define that without which interoperability
is impossible and no more.  Then layer on whatever is
needed to do other tasks.

The core set should be the first thing one want to
master and I have to wonder if RDF is a core piece
or yet another application language for knowledge
base work.  UML is pushed into being a tool for
those who want to design OOP systems.  Ok, but if
one is not required to design OOP, it isn't core.

For what kind of system is RDF preferred?  To me,
it looks like any system that needs a spec'd knowledge
base (in the olde AI/Prolog sense of the word).  It's
a very useful thing.   When do I need RDDL?  Is the
answer, when reading an XML document that has a
namespace reference, I can go to identified location
and find all the pieces I need to interpret that?
Then RDDL is a catalog of relationships among
components of some system.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.