RE: meta-specs (was RE: A few things I noticed about w3c's xml-sc hema)

Hi Jonathan:

I am forwarding this to the Human Markup list.  Sean is on
that and understands the context of current discussions there.
I am curious about various approaches that tie it all together
and in this particular case, wondering if for some time period
it may be wise to focus on the instances and therefore, XML
Schemas as a simple means to get definitions for instances.
In total there would be many modules, but to begin with, having
chosen some categories of information, we sort out membership
of various documents and record that sorting in the document
type (schema).  It takes a "feel" for the data domains followed
by normalization, then iterate until it *feels right*.

Is that too... Extreme?

I understand that you are looking at a type system
independent of the schema language.  I need to understand
that better.  My dilemma is "too many moving parts", that
is, having so many ways to design that it becomes difficult
to choose.  Schemas I know so I tend toward what I know and
that isn't always the best metric.

I like your approach in that it appeals to my need to start
as much as possible from simple devices.  If we have the
instances nailed down, we have a pretty good idea how to
then begin to look at different schemata techniques and
thus, which one best models some particular kinds of
constraints because we know what the outputs look like.
If we got the categories right, we are in the right
neighborhood.  So I am following this with great interest.

I realize how unscientific it all sounds, but after
some years of doing this, I am convinced schema design
is art supported by method. :-)

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.