Re: Type and Structure Re: ASN.1 and XML

> Yes, and I don't see how this contradicts James's point.  Typing belongs
> in the semantic model and James points out that TREX and RELAX don't make
> the (IMO) mistake of interposing typing between the syntax and semantics.

If you think it's a mistake, blame the compiler people who came up with
annotating syntax with semantic constructs. Personally, I think it's
quite a convenient way (that still leaves the issue of whether XSD
should include it unresolved though).

@article{Knu68:SemanticsOf,
   author    = {D.~E.~Knuth},
   title     = {{Semantics of Context-Free Languages}},
   journal   = {{Mathematical Systems Theory}},
   pages     = {{127--145}},
   year      = {{1968}},
   volume    = {{2}},
   number    = {{2}},