Re: MS Word as XML editor?

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 03:29:00PM +1000, Marcus Carr wrote:
> As I understand it, you have created applications that allows the
> capture of a certain class of documents only though. If you wanted to
> create different documents tomorrow, you would have to program again,
> wouldn't you? The original poster asked about "using MS Word as XML
> editor (ideally like FrameMaker+SGML)" - that's not really what you're
> doing, is it? You rely on being able to predict (or discard) structure,
> whereas FM+SGML will XML-ise any structured or word processed
> document.

True, sorry. I jumped in towards the end without reading all of the previous.
We have the ability to convert any 'save as web page' or RTF document into
an XML markup, but it just says "para 1, style Heading 1. para 2, style
Normal" and so on. Its not generic XML. Generic XML, as you say, requires
a human to write a configuration file to be built up relating the Word
paragraph and character styles (and colors etc) to a DTD-like structure
to convert the flat list of stylized lumps of text into a nice XML structure.

ajk