RE: DTD formal syntax

The only bubble burst is the logical one.  You
are comparing an application language to the
metalanguage.  If you say XHTML is harder to
learn than HTML, you are comparing apples to
apples.  Given that HTML systems are usually
tag stackers, and that HTML itself is fairly
close to RTF in terms of having minimal structure,
you are probably right.

On the other hand, that is meaningless.  The
features have to suit the task.  HTML was
designed for formatted email with hot links.
Then came forms and the GUI was mixed into
the document, then came objects and the
operating system began to be more intertwined
and so it goes.  The diamond in the set may
be obscured by all the emeralds in the setting.

I have built macro-driven editors in Word
for markup.  It is a royal pain in the patootie.
On the other hand, using MS Access, exporting
RTF or XML is actually not too hard because one
can take the InfoSet abstractions and treat them
like system tables and derive the rest.  Given
the DOM and a Schema, it becomes a piece of
cake.

Weirdly, after some time, they go to editing
in the ASCII editor again.  If the elements
and attributes are named reasonably, and they
know their subject domain, they can do it and
will.  If they are just creating memos, they
are using the wrong tools anyway.

Clay is hard to model with if you can't
use knives.   Snowmen are easy,
but the Tonka truck is a pain.