RE: Schemas Article

Interesting. I also tend to believe that OOP is definitely *not* something
which should be there from the beginning. And it is *impossible* to
satisfy everyone with the set of constraints you provide.

Let me ask how important are the following properties in favor of
RELAX NG/RELAX/TREX over xml-schemas ---

a) Query operations are a must for xml-schemas, actually for any data
model. 1-unambiguity for any set of operators other than the usual regular
expression operators (|, ,. *) have *never* been characterized. Without
this characterization, it is impossible to do type inferencing for
operations -- note that local tree grammars etc have been characterized,
but it is the 1-unambiguity that has *never* been characterized.

b) People do data integration -- for merger of companies etc, also for one
project I work on -- a project on sensor networks, where services provided
by sensors are *highly* transitory, and unpredictable. Data integration
benefits *enormously* from closure under union -- actually otherwise, this
problem is so difficult (trying to solve a problem with no solution except
for uncharacterized special cases) that you will *never* be satisfied.

<warning>speaking for himself only</warning>

thanks and regards - murali.