Re: XSLT vs. document size

At 01/06/11 09:08 +0200, KRUMPOLEC Martin wrote:
>   I would like to ask experts (yes you are :-) on this list about the
>   suitability of the XSLT processing on the bigger documents.
>
>   Common size of input files in our scenerio is hundreds of kilobytes,
>   but in rare peaks it can be tens of megabytes and XSLT processing
>   sucks too much of memory and CPU ...
>
>   What would you suggest ? Can I use XSLT in streaming fashion ?
>   (I doubt it because of xpath patterns)

XSLT only accepts a well-formed XML document and if I guess from your use
of the word "streaming" that this is an unterminated stream of markup,
hence, it isn't well formed and, therefore, isn't XML.

The XPath data model of the complete XML instance must be available to the
XSLT processor for random access to the tree, so is inappropriate for what
I think you are asking for.

XSL, XSLT and XPath questions would be better posted to the following list:

There are a number of subscribers who would enthusiastically respond to
such questions.

There is also an *excellent* FAQ at:

   http://www.dpawson.co.uk

I hope this helps.

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/

Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-06-18/22