Re: Unrecognized encodings (was Re: XML 1.0 Conformance Test Resu lts)

Rob McDougall wrote:
> I think you're misinterpreting the spec.

You're right, I misinterpreted the should-be-treated-as-unknown clause to
apply to any encoding name, when in fact it only applies to those that are
listed in the IANA charset registry. I see now that the spec is actually
not making any recommendations about how to handle encoding names that are
not in the registry.

The implication is that "UTF8", however ambiguous, should not produce a
fatal error unless the processor is unable to handle that encoding. Sorry
for the confusion.

As for "UTF8" being ambiguous, there is some discussion on the Unicode
list right now about that. It seems that Oracle thinks "UTF8" is something
different than UTF-8.

   - Mike
mike j. brown, software engineer at  |  xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/
webb.net in denver, colorado, USA    |  personal: http://hyperreal.org/~mike/