Re: XML 1.0 is simple. was: RE: almost four years ago....

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> Core - XML 1.0 (well-formed and DTD validation)
>
> Extensibility options:
>
> o  Aggregation - XML 1.0 + Namespaces
>
> o  Modeling - XML 1.0 + Namespaces + XML Schemas
>
> o  System - XML application languages such as RDDL

It would be nice if the specifications were modular instead of spagheti
structured, but DTDs are macroinstructions + include + modeling...

And I personnaly find namespaces being more "basic" or "core" than the
modeling part of DTDs!

Namespaces are not something that you bring afterward, they are
intrusive and change the syntax and meaning of your documents.

In contrast, you can add or change DTDs without changing your documents
(except maybe the doctype declaration). The modeling part of XML DTDs
appears to be more peripheral than namespaces.

I think that your split is based on historical considerations more than
on pure logic ;=) !

BTW, where do we locate XML Base and XInclude ?

Eric

--
Pour y voir plus clair dans la nebuleuse XML...
                                          http://dyomedea.com/formation/