Processing IPv4 address/network notation with XSLT

My project requires that I be able to sort by IP address numerically, and
ideally to be able to test if an IP address matches a network's IP/netmask so my
documentation thing can make a nice table of networks and which machines are on
them...

Anyone have any experience with ways of doing this? My current best plan is to
create a horrible messy thing where a seperate XSLT extracts the networking
information, then a script written in Perl or something converts this into
DocBook by hand, and the "final" XSLT which creates the docbook just emits a
reference to that as an entity.

Any better approaches available? I don't think I'll be able to add extension
functions to XPath easily.

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell