RE: XQuery & XSLT was RE: Verboseness - XML Syntax for XQuery 1.0(XQueryX)

Note, I am speaking solely for myself below and not the working group.

> There is nothing more confusing than having two similar but
> subtly different syntaxes to remember. XQuery serves a
> different purpose to XSLT and needs a different syntax to
> reflect these differences. However, where the two standards
> overlap they should be more consistent. In particular, I
> believe the XSLT template body format should be used for
> query results.

I don't think that the template body format is appropriate for the user
communities that are most likely to use XQuery.

Note that the "SQL-like" form is not tied to relational models at all.
Michael could also have said Lore-like, OQL-like etc. I.e., a concise,
easy to read and write declarative language.

Most of my XQuery constituency is not really interested in learning XSLT
syntax but prefers the XQuery syntax.

> >>However, I'm not saying that they should use XSLT, just
> that: 1. for
> >>the results part of the query, they should adopt the XSLT template
> >>body format or something similar.
> >
> >I think that our element constructors are quite similar to XSLT's
> template
> >bodies, and more so in the latest Working Draft of XQuery.
>
> They appear to not be well-formed XML in XQuery.

Is this really a problem? I find human readability and writeability to
be more important goals. Having XML-based constructor functions for
elements and attributes breaks readability and writeability more than
the current constructors.

> >In this message I argue that ease of use, offering conventional
> database
> >functionality, optimizability, and strong typing are
> important reasons
> for
> >developing XQuery, and these needs are not adequately
> satisfied by XSLT
> 1.0.
>
> I am not opposed to XQuery, and I am aware that it provides
> functionality distinct from that of XSLT. I am not implying
> you should all use XSLT and forget about XQuery. My point is
> that there are atleast two areas where they overlap: 1. They
> select parts of an XML document, specified mostly using
> XPath. 2. They construct new XML elements by example.
>
> I believe they should try to be consistent in these areas. In
> some cases, for (1), this would mean changing XSLT to align
> with XQuery, as XQuery is better. In other areas XQuery is
> merely different. For area (2), I believe the XSLT format
> should be used. It has been stated more than once, that the
> workings groups are co-ordinating their efforts for
> consistency, but based on
> http://xmlportfolio.com/xsltuk/slides/ that > does not appear
> to be working perfectly.

Back to lurking...